Monday, July 16, 2012

Slim-Cut Trousers

I was feeling pretty blah last week.  Everywhere I looked, I saw super cute outfits and I have been so boring.  I think I have a case of closet envy because I have been on a thrifty shopping freeze.  Its been great for the bank account, but sad for me when I see things I want!  So I decided that #1, this blog is going to be colorful and bright.  But also #2, I am going to make it something that can work for summer and easily transition into fall.  Therefore, saving money!  Well...after you shop first :-)

I saw an article recently for slim-cut pants vs wide leg trousers.  While I am all about wide leg pants, I was really drawn to the slim cut pants more.  This is the picture that really sucked me in...its from the Milly Spring 2012 Collection.




These exact pants were on sale at Neiman Marcus for $87...but it says no longer available now :-(  I found a similar pair, without the high waist, at J. Crew for $90.  They only come in aqua or black tho.




I also found a pair with the high waist, which is going to be big this fall, from ASOS.  They are bright blue (or black if you prefer) and only $36.45.  The other great thing about ASOS is that they also have ASOS CURVE for those who have some curves and don't think super skinny pants would look great.  They also have a petite line and a maternity line.




For the shirt, you can really wear a ton of different styles.  You can go simple and do a white button down dress shirt...roll the cuffs up and half tuck it in for a more relaxed, modern feel.  You can also do a tank top...plain like the above picture.  Or you can go with a patterned one like this one by Ark & Co. for $47.99.  I also love the tie neck on this blouse!  You can look for one that has the same color as your pants, or you can color block like this red blouse with the above blue pants!  This is great for summer...and then when it gets cooler out, add a matching red cardigan.  Or really dress it up with a blazer!




And for a look similar to the Milly runway look, try a printed blouse.  There are some great options on ebay, but you have to have some time to browse and know your size.  I love ebay but not everyone does.  I had alot of luck on ASOS too with the prints.  I love this paisley print and I think it goes with a few different color pants and is only $58.  The department stores had a few styles but most of them are over $100.  They have a ton to choose from if this it too loud for you!




I think the most important accessory here is the sunglasses.  My favorite place to shop for these is TJ Maxx and Marshalls.  They always have a ton of options.   Make sure you get some that are a little bit retro to complete the look.  I think its very cool that her bag matches the pants, but I don't think that is necessary.  And for shoes...the best shoe for skinny trousers is always the pointy toe pump.  Try to pick a color that is represented in your ensemble for a cohesive look.

Here is hoping that this week I am better inspired by my own clothes!  Girls night on Wed so that should be fun to pick out clothes for! Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment