Saturday, October 22, 2011

Welcome!

I have been sitting here for days trying to come up with a catchy "first blog" idea...but I have so many topics to share that I haven't been able to make up my mind.  So instead of talking about a specific product or outfit, I decided to speak about something very close to my heart, to give everyone a better glimpse at what makes me who I am.

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month.  Its a cause that has been very important to me since my Grandma Maisie was diagnosed in 2007.  She lost her fight last March.  She was the biggest influence on who I am today and missed every day.  Although she was 88 when she died, breast cancer took her before it was her time and made those last years the hardest.  So I am committed to doing anything I can to help end this disease.  Last year my best friend and I walked in the Susan G Komen 3 Day and it was one of the best experiences of my life.  I encourage anyone considering it to go for it!

In the spirit of the month I decided to share a few things I learned about style, beauty, and life along the way from Grandma Maisie.

- It is always worth the effort to get dressed everyday.  Even when she was just hanging out at home, Grandma always had her hair done, her makeup on, and jewelry to match her outfit.  She looked like a million bucks sitting in her favorite chair.

- Always allow yourself a splurge!  We went on all day shopping trips a couple times a year, and she always bought herself something she didn't need just because she liked it.  And she always let my cousin and I pick out one thing we wanted.  She told us, "What good is money when I'm dead?"

- A great hairdo is everything.  She got her hair done every Friday, by the same woman, for 50 years!  And when she was too sick to go to the salon, Sharon came to the house for her.  Someday I am going to get my hair done weekly too!

- Be kind...but speak up when you have to.  We call it "getting Irish" when we get fired up about something.  My Grandma was the kindest and most generous person, but she never let anyone walk all over her.  I try to follow her lead in my life.

- Tell everyone important in your life how much you love and appreciate them.  Life is too short not to say how you feel.  My family is very vocal and we always tell each other "I love you."  The one thing that helps with the loss is knowing that she knew how much I loved her. And she always made sure we all knew she loved us.


So donate this month! Every little bit helps end this disease.

2 comments:

  1. Love it, Tina! You know I'll be reading this! I wish I had met your Grandma Maisie, but I love how you are passing on all the things that made her wonderful to the people in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it Tine! Great first post. Grandma Maisie was always so stylish and looked great in purple! She could light up a room with her smile and laugh, just like you.

    I can't wait to read more

    ReplyDelete