Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Maxi Skirts = Figure Flattering

I don't know about you all, but it is hot here in Michigan already.  Summer is in full swing and that means some adjustments to the wardrobe.  I get so uncomfortable in the summer if my clothes are too tight, but sundresses don't always feel like an appropriate choice.  And lets face it...mini skirts are not for everyone. Enter the maxi skirt.  I bought one a year ago from Bebe and it is one of my favorite pieces of clothing.  I have worn it with a tank top and belt, a t-shirt and long necklace, and a long sleeve silk top for colder days.  It is so versatile, even with the snakeskin print that I bought mine in.  So I thought, why don't I own more of these???  And the bonus here is that besides being fashionably versatile, it is also flattering to all shapes and sizes.  I found a couple examples online of really cool maxi skirt looks.  These are all printed skirts too!





So I went searching for the coolest maxi shirts I could find!  I am a little behind on the summer shopping, so if you can get your size, you might get it on sale too.  I found this really pretty blue print skirt from Asos for $85.85.  That might seem like a lot, but you can get year round use out of this item.  Look above at how Olivia (far right) pairs hers with a leather jacket.  Add some booties instead of sandals, viola!  Colder weather outfit!  This blue skirt can be worn with a plain white tee or tank for an easy summer outfit (like Malin has in the middle photo).  If you feel like pushing the envelope, try a colored tank like the pink in the picture.  And belts are always a welcome addition to maxi skirts!





After much searching, I found this skirt at Bloomingdales that looks a bit like my snakeskin one.  This one is by Michael Kors for $120.  Yes, snakeskin prints are not for everyone, but this one is subtle enough for most.  And I like that its a neutral color print so you don't feel quite as 'check out my new skirt' like the brighter blue print above.  You can wear this one higher, like at your real waistline, belted or not.  You can also pull it down closer to your hips and have it graze the floor for a more relaxed feel.  For a curvier frame, I would recommend the higher waist to give you that hourglass shape.  Only those straight up and down folks should try the lower option.





If you like the idea of a maxi, but can't quite get on board with the prints, try this plain black one from Nordstrom by Halogen.  It is simple, but the material is dressy enough that you can still take it from day to night, flats to heels.  And you can always try a bold colored top with it for more fun!  And black and white together is always very chic...you can never go wrong there.





Now...for one last look...the really dressed up maxi skirt!  I found this picture of Cat Deeley and had to post it!  How amazing does she look???  I know...this is not the easiest look to pull off.  But if you can find the pieces and have the guts, this is awesome!  And if you do...the red lips are a must!




I found a similar style skirt on Bluefly.com for $105 by Love Sam.



I found the perfect top on ebay...but they say there are multiple sizes available.  Either way, ebay is a great place to go for outfits like this because you can always find something unique.  Here is the top I found.





Happy Summer Shopping!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment