Tuesday, December 4, 2012

How to Dress Like a Star

Yes that's right ladies...here is my number one tip to dressing like a movie star!  I was reading an article online with some tips to becoming a fashion genius (like me!) and this one just stuck out to me...know your body!  How many times do we stare at ourselves in the mirror and pick apart all the different areas of our bodies?  So instead, look at yourself with the purpose of defining your type.  Pick out your favorite features and aim to show those off.  Then pick out the ones you aren't so fond of because there are tons of tricks to disguising those instead of worrying about them.  Next, find a celebrity who has the same body type as you.  They pay tons of money for a stylist to make sure they look perfect all the time.  Its a free and easy way to cheat into your own stylist.

Here are a few examples of my celebrity body doubles...haha.










I know that we all have different shapes so I went on to find some good examples for other types.  My first thought was when Laura kindly told me that not everyone is "a skinny bitch" like me.  So here is some examples of a curvy figure, with hips and boobs.  Really, a dream figure.  I immediately thought of Kim Kardashian.  Whether you lover her or hate her, she knows how to dress her body.  She accents her features...and she is proud of her curves!  Here she is in a great wrap dress.  Doesn't her waist look tiny?


And here she is more dressed down for everyday.  A great example how blazers work for everyone.  The length is great because it hits at her hips and helps elongate her midsection, making her look taller and leaner.  And when you have a great butt, make sure your jeans fit to show it off!  Kim knows that better than anyone.  Flared and bootcut jeans are great for this body type...see how they slim down Jessica's upper half.





Another body type that can be hard to dress is tall.  My friend Sue is always talking about how hard it can be!  When I think of tall and lean, I think super model (which is what I think when I think of Sue!).  So I used my favorite super model Rosie Huntington-Whitely.  She is great at playing with proportions.  And how hot are these leather leggings!  I have been dying to try a pair but I think they are meant for long and lean women only.  One trick of hers that I noticed in all her pictures online, skinny pants regardless of the material.  That way you can wear heels or flats and not worry about the length.





On the opposite side of tall, is petite.  That body type can be tricky because you are always trying to look taller!  Here are a few celebs who nailed that.  Eva Longoria is only 5'2" but you wouldn't know it looking at this picture.  The monochromatic black look here is very elongating.  The platform heels don't hurt either!  Again, notice how a blazer flatters everyone!


I love Nicole Richie's style right now.  She has boho chic down to a science.  I loved this look on her because, again, she doesn't look short at all.  The hem on the dress is shorter in the front, which can be tricky. But its above her knee and not too dramatic of a difference in length so that keeps from chopping off her legs.  The other key is how her jacket hits at her natural waist.  Also, notice the platforms again!




I apologize if I missed your body type!  I tried to cover most of the bases.  If you prefer a celeb with a different style, try picking up a People Style Watch magazine and browsing through it.  They always have great outfit ideas for all different body types and occasions.  Hope this helps jump start you into some new ideas for styling!



No comments:

Post a Comment