Monday, March 19, 2012

A break from fashion for some thoughts...

The week of St. Patrick's Day is always a little bittersweet for me.  It is the week we said goodbye to Grandma Maisie and so that week always brings me back.  But this year I tried to keep myself in a good place.  It was sunny and warm and I was surrounded by some very good people who loved her too.  It didn't get more Irish than her, so I always try to celebrate the way she would have wanted.  And we toasted to her with smiles and good drinks...I think she would have been proud.  I somehow made it thru the week in pretty good spirits.  And then today as I was walking in the park with the twins, we came upon a very random field of purple flowers.  They just didn't fit with the woods and dirt.  And Marci leaned down and picked one and said "Grandma Maisie is saying hi to us."  It was so sweet and so simple and just meant the world.

So tonight I find myself thinking of her some more.  And I started thinking how difficult death is on everyone.  How permanent it can feel.  We got news that some family also lost someone this past week and I just know exactly how it feels.  So I was trying to remember the things that made me feel better, still make me feel better.  The best for me is this plate my Grandma gave me for our wedding with the Irish Blessing on it.  I just have to read it and know she's there saying it with me.  Here it is for those of you who might need it -


"May the road rise up to meet you.

May the wind be always at your back.

May the sun shine warm upon your face; 

the rains fall soft upon your fields 

and until we meet again, 

may God hold you in the palm of His hand."




This verse was sent to me by a very dear friend and I often read it.

"The Lord will fight for you, you need only to be still." Exodus 14:14


And this verse is one that just really says it all.

"Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted." Matthew 5:4


And lastly is the song Temporary Home by Carrie Underwood. I usually turn it off if it comes on in my car because it makes me cry, but the last verse is so beautiful. The words are so beautiful. So true.

"Old Man, Hospital Bed,
The Room Is Filled With People He Loves.
And He Whispers Don't Cry For Me,
I'll See You All Someday.
He Looks Up And Says, "I Can See God's Face."

This Is My Temporary Home
It's Not Where I Belong.
Windows And Rooms That I'm Passin' Through.
This Was Just A Stop, on The Way To Where I'm Going.
I'm Not Afraid Because I Know... This Was
My Temporary Home."

No comments:

Post a Comment